Monday, February 28, 2011

Recipe Analyzer

Hello again!  Just another quick post here.  The Pot Roast recipe will be coming tonight or tomorrow, promise!  I just wanted to share a little tool I found that can make calorie counting a little easier for you.  Since I like to cook from scratch, not everything is easily measurable without a lot of math.  We learned from my coupon post that math isn't always my strong point.  I've started using my calorie counter app on my phone again which is very accurate when it comes to foods with barcodes on them, but I couldn't find a way to measure the soup I made this weekend so I was inspired to Google for a solution.

I found a great recipe analyzer here.  You list the ingredients and the amount of each you're using.  You can leave out spices and things like that.  It will flag each ingredient whether it recognizes it or not with red, yellow or green flags, so you can change how they are named until it figures it out.  I tested it with my Chicken and Brown Rice Soup recipe as compared to the nutritional info given on the Whole foods website and it was pretty accurate!  Only a little off but I was fine with just a few points here and there.  Then I needed to convert from grams to ounces, then ounces to cups to figure out how much a serving is.  Google has a calculator function that is very helpful with that.

Hopefully with this tool I can now cook with more accurate measurements and give nutritional info for my recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment