Monday, February 14, 2011

Homemade Banana Ice Cream

Since I have been lacking in posts lately, I thought I would put this one up that has been sitting in my arsenal for a couple weeks.

This is a very simple recipe that was posted by a friend of mine on Facebook.  I decided to try it, and it is actually pretty tasty!


I'm not going to make an ingredient list, since the only and obvious ingredient is a few ripe bananas!

Peel the bananas.  Cut them into small pieces and freeze for a few hours on a plate. Put into food processor or blender and blend.  At first it will look crumbly.  Stop the blender when needed, and scrape them back down.  Keep blending, and the mixture will eventually turn creamy.  Scoop out and serve.


Recommendations:
No modifications, this one is pretty easy.  I have made it twice so far, and the bananas can definitely be frozen up to a few hours.  I only did it about two hours last time, and the mix was a teeny bit frothy, but still very tasty.  If you freeze the end result in an airtight container, it will get harder like regular ice cream.  Otherwise its more like a soft serve. You can also add things like a little bit of peanut butter or some honey as recommended on the original post after the mix turns creamy in the blender, and blend again to mix.  I added a little bit of honey and some cocoa powder.  Top with your favorite toppings, and enjoy!


The Verdict:
We enjoy this recipe.  It's a great light and low cal dessert.  I'm going to try making a lot and freezing next time to see how the texture is.  Hopefully it will make a great summer treat, especially for the kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment