Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Mango Quinoa Salad

I finally have a moment for a quick post.  I've been meaning to post this one for quite a while now.  This is the recipe I originally saw on The Biggest Loser, and just had to try it.  It's been a hit with just about everyone that's tried it, except, oddly enough, the husband.  He prefers another variation that I make that I'll be posting soon.  This quinoa salad makes a great summer snack or appetizer.  It's refreshing, and very healthy!



Ingredients:
2 cups cooked red quinoa (at room temperature or cold)
1 diced mango
1 handful chopped cilantro
1 15-ounce can black beans
1 red bell pepper, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
4 Tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 Tablespoons olive oil
1-2 Tablespoons fresh lime juice 

Instructions:
Cook quinoa according to package directions.  1 cup of uncooked quinoa will make 2 cups cooked.  In a small bowl, combine vinegar, oil and lime juice. Combine everything else in a big bowl. Drizzle liquid mixture over the salad, and toss until well combined. Chill for at least an hour.

The Verdict:
I love this as a snack.  It's tasty and filling.  I enjoy it on regular Triscuit crackers.  The salt in them is a nice complement to the salad.  The only thing I recommend is possibly adding a little more lime juice if you don't like a lot of vinegar.  I added more lime juice this time around and I actually liked it a little better!

Click here for the printable PDF page!

No comments:

Post a Comment