Tuesday, December 11, 2012

It's been a while...

The title says it all really.  It has been a long time since I've updated this blog.  There has been a lot going on outside of the Littlefield kitchen.  I'm still working full time, while trying to start a Professional Photography and Video business with my husband, as well as taking care of our now 3 pets, 2 cats and a small dog.  I'm still cooking and trying new recipes, I just forget to take photos and post them here.  Things get very busy and there just aren't enough hours in the day!  Even my couponing has taken a back seat to everything else. 

To tide you over, Pinterest has been a great discovery and I have a few boards on there.  If you have an account you can check out my "Recipes I've Made" board.  They are recipes I've tried, and most likely modified to my liking. I am going to try REALLY hard to start taking photos and writing down my version of the recipes to post on the blog here.  I also may switch this blog over to Wordpress, like I did my photo blog, but at the moment, I will probably keep it here, unless I decide to make it a standalone website.

In other news, I actually discovered that I have a food allergy!  Of all things to be allergic to, I have an allergy to red onions.  Yes, just the red ones.  I ate some in a salsa/salad type thing I made over the summer, and my throat got scratchy.  The only ingredient in the salad that I hadn't really eaten before were the onions.  I didn't think much of it, but then ate some potato salad a couple weeks later with them in it.  Needless to say, I felt extremely ill for a few hours, and my throat was swollen half shut and scratchy.  Allergy confirmed!  I have not yet been to my doctor or undergone allergy testing, but I'd say it's true.

This brings me to my next point.  When you go to restaurants, ALWAYS remember to inform them or ask about the contents of food if you or one of your kids has an allergy!  I get a lot of funny looks when I say I'm allergic to red onions, and it is really annoying to ask every time we go out, but I don't feel like being sick for the rest of the night.  The worst was going to a work conference at Gillette Stadium, the home of the New England Patriots, and having to find the catering staff to ask whats in the food.  Talk about getting strange looks.  It turns out there were red onions in just about everything, including the pasta salad I almost ate.  I found a few safe items so I was alright, but I'm glad I asked.  You never know what is in food, or if the chefs have prepared your food around any allergens.  

That is all for an update for now.  Hopefully I can get some new recipes up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment