Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Easy Peasy Pulled Pork

The title says it all!  This has been a go to meal the last couple of weeks because I've been pressed for time after moving, and working long hours, and hubby keeps asking for it!  Can't go wrong there.


The ingredients are so simple, I don't even need a list!  All you need is a boneless pork roast, the larger the better (as long as it fits in your slow cooker, I have a large one), and a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce.  

Method:
If there is some fat on the roast, go ahead and trim it off.  The one I bought this week didn't have much so I didn't bother.  Place the roast in the slow cooker and cover it with the sauce.  I leave a bit left in the bottle for later.  Cook the roast on low for 4-6 hours (for a newer slow cooker, longer for an older one).  Once it has cooked, pull it out and place it on a cutting board.  Take 2 forks and shred the meat.  If there is a gadget for this part, I'd love to find it!  Once it's shredded well, return to the pot and mix in well with the left over BBQ sauce/juices.  Add a bit more of the fresh sauce and cook for a bit longer on low, maybe half an hour to an hour.  If you don't have the time, toss it on high for a half hour.  There's really no rule or set time, so use your judgement.  Serve on hamburger buns or bread of your choice!  It's as simple as that.

Verdict:
This is a staple go to in our house.  It's easy to cook overnight with my programmable slow cooker, or all day while you're at work, and it doesn't require much in the way of prepping.  You can also add your own variations with some chopped onion or peppers, or other veggies, and I've also made a version with an Enchilada Sauce instead of BBQ, from a slow cooker magazine I have, which I'll post the next time I make!

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious!

    I wanted to let you know I love the blog and because of the tasty-looking things you post, gave you the Liebster Blog award :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! I've been so busy, I've been neglecting my blog, but I'm finally getting back into it! I have 2 more recipes to put up in the next couple days, and another to cook sometime this week and put up after that :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made pulled pork this week for my husband too. I found a recipe on Pinterest - instead of using BBQ, we used Hoisin sauce, grated ginger and crushed garlic. So yummy!

    http://www.thekitchn.com/thekitchn/main-dish/dinner-for-a-crowd-recipe-slowcooked-hoisin-pork-wraps-with-peanut-slaw-079670

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to check out this Pintrest thing! I keep hearing about it! I'll have to try that pulled pork, my hubby will eat just about anything, I just used the BBQ sauce because it was what we had in the cabinet and its easy :)

    ReplyDelete