Thursday, June 9, 2011

Dad's Spicy Roasted Red Potatoes

This is another recipe courtesy of my Dad.  It's a great easy side dish that can replace mashed potatoes or fries.



Ingredients:
Red Potatoes - baby or regular
Olive Oil
McCormick's Montreal Steak Seasoning

Cook's Note:
Use your judgement on the amount of potatoes you think you'll need.  Usually 3-4 regular sized ones make enough for hubby and I for dinner.  They reheat well so if you make more, then you can snack on them later.  Baby reds work best, you can quarter them a little easier.  They are more expensive though, at least in my experience, so regular sized reds work just fine, they just take a little longer to cut to size.  I try to find the smallest ones I can. 

Preparation:
Dice up potatoes into 1 inch size pieces or so, maybe a little smaller.  Place in a casserole dish that will fit them all laying on the bottom.  Drizzle with olive oil, and toss until all of the potatoes are lightly coated.  Sprinkle with your desired amount of the steak seasoning.  If you don't like a whole lot of spice, only use a little bit. If you like a lot of spice, use a bit more.  If you REALLY like spice, get the "spicy" version of the steak seasoning.   However, you may not be able to feel your mouth for a bit as it burns from the spice, and I can personally attest to that!

Preheat oven to 350 or so.  Put the potatoes in for around half an hour, or until you see the white parts starting to look wilted, and a fork splits through them easily.  If you need them cooked a little more quickly, you can put the oven up to 360-375.  Let sit for a few minutes after cooking since the insides get really hot.


The Verdict:
I have loved these since the first time I had them.  I make them quite often since they are so easy.  You can always change it up and leave them plain, or try different spices.  I enjoy the bit of bite from the Montreal seasoning.  I eat mine with ketchup on them, but feel free to eat them as they are or put your own favorite toppings on them.  You can also modify this by using sweet potatoes.  I've never liked them, so I don't use them, but my family does and they say it's good!

No comments:

Post a Comment