Friday, January 28, 2011

Hearty Minestrone Soup

Here is another recipe I got from the Whole Foods website many months ago.  I finally decided to try it.  Once again it was rave reviews all around.  I love it, and my husband and coworkers did too!  It's also one of a very few vegetarian recipes I have, which I'd like to find more of.  Here it is on the stove, still cooking in my new stock pot.  I don't have a picture of the finished product, I forgot!


Ingredients:
2 tablespoons olive oil 
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped 
1 medium yellow onion, chopped 
6 cups low-sodium vegetable broth 
1/4 cup tomato paste 
1/4 cup chopped parsley 
1 tablespoon chopped basil 
2 large stalks of celery, sliced 
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped 
1 dried bay leaf 
1 (28-ounce) can chopped tomatoes, with their liquid 
1 cup canned chickpeas, drained 
1 cup dried fusilli (rotini) pasta 
1 (15-ounce) can cannellini or white beans, drained 
Salt and pepper to taste 
3/4 to 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (optional for topping soup when serving)

Preparation and Cooking:
In a large stockpot, heat oil over medium high heat. Add garlic and onions and cook until translucent. Add broth, tomato paste, parsley, basil, celery, carrots, bay leaf, and tomatoes with their juice and cook for 30 to 40 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Add chickpeas, pasta, and beans and simmer for another 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.


My Recommendations:
The recipe originally called for cabbage, but hubby and I aren't fans so I left it out.  I also didn't read once again, and just used the whole can of chickpeas but it actually worked out because I made a little bit more than the recipe calls for.  The only size containers of broth I could find at the store were 32 oz each.  They were really low on broth that day.  I didn't feel like having left over veggie broth that would just sit in the fridge and go bad,  so I used it all.  It was only an extra 2 cups of broth.  I just added in a little more of each of the veggies.  Of course, being part Sicilian, I didn't think 1 cup of dry noodles was enough.  I was wrong.  I went overboard and put way too many in and it soaked up a lot of the broth.  It was still good, but next time I make this, I will stick to the recipe on the noodle amount!  I also used whole grain rotini.  I couldn't tell the difference.  It tasted great!  Other than that, I just had a little fun with spices from the spice rack, tossing in a little Oregano, Basil, and whatever else smelled like it would go well!


The Verdict:
All around good reviews.  I'll definitely be making it again, with less pasta so it's more soupy.  It's a very filling and tasty soup!  This recipe makes a lot, and I'm sure it would be great for freezing as well.

2 comments: