Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Slow-Cooked Apricot Glazed Pork Roast

Here is another awesome slow cooker meal I discovered on the Campbell's Kitchen website.  I tried it last weekend and it was husband approved.  It is very quick to prepare, then set and forget with the crock pot!  I served it with some steamed broccoli and roasted red potatoes (recipe to come soon.  I meant to take some pictures when I made them but I forgot!). Anyway, onto the recipe!





Ingredients:
1 can (10 1/2 ounces) Condensed Chicken Broth
1 jar (18 ounces) apricot preserves
1 large onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
2 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
1 boneless pork loin roast (about 4 pounds)

Preparation:
Stir the broth, preserves, onion and mustard in a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker.  Add the pork to the cooker, trimming to fit, if needed, and turn to coat. Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 9 hours or until the pork is fork-tender.  This can also be cooked on high for 4-5 hours.


My Recommendations:
   I actually followed this one to the letter since there isn't a whole lot of room for variation.  The only thing I did differently is that I had a roast with the bone in, because that's all the store had at the moment.  I would definitely go with the boneless next time.  Everything cooked fine, but some tiny pieces of bone cooked off and found their way into the glaze/sauce.  I haven't found any but Hubby said he did.  Cutting/serving it was also a pain.  I'd rather just be able to slice the meat like in the photo.  Also, my slow cooker is just about twice the size in the recipe, but that didn't really make a difference since the roast I bought was also a bit bigger.  The amount of glaze was still enough to cover everything too.


  So there you have it, a quick and easy roast in the slow cooker.  We all have our busy days and need meals like these.  I will definitely be trying this one again, with the boneless roast next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment