Monday, November 8, 2010

Party Time! Seven Layer Fiesta Dip


This weekend we had my family over for some football and lots of food. The main appetizer I made was this 7 layer dip, from a recipe card I got from a grocery store a long time ago. I finally had the chance to make it, and it was a huge hit. It's very easy to make, and everything in it was fresh except for the can of refried beans.




Ingredients:
1 pkg McCormick Taco Seasoning Mix (you can get the lower sodium version if desired)
1 pkg McCormick Guacamole Seasoning Mix (or any other brand)
2 Ripe Avocados
1 16 oz. Can Refried Beans
1 ping (16 oz) Sour Cream
2 cups shredded cheese
1 cup chopped tomato
1/2 cup sliced green onions
1/2 cup black olives

Preparation:
Guacamole - Peel pit, and mash the avocados. Add the Guacamole Seasoning mix and stir until well blended. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.

Sour Cream - Mix sour cream and whole package of Taco Seasoning Mix until well blended.

The Dip - Spread can of Refried beans in a shallow serving dish. Next layer on the sour cream mix over the beans. Next layer is the shredded cheese, then the guacamole. Top with tomatoes, green onions, and olives. Break out the tortilla chips, and dig in!


My Recommendations:
I would definitely use a very long and shallow dish, and make the layers a little thinner.  The first time I made this, the chips kept breaking off in the beans.  I actually didn't use the McCormick Guacamole mix, because the store I went to didn't carry it, but I found another no name brand that worked just fine.  I have used Florida avocados and regular size (from Mexico) for the guacamole.  The Florida ones are too big and make too much mix.  The regular size are great if you get them a little on the bigger side, or get 3 small ones. You could also use a store bought guacamole if you wanted, but the fresh definitely tastes great and is a lot healthier. I also figured out that pureeing the avocado up in a food processor makes a huge difference.  I used fresh tomatoes and onions, but I cheated a little and bought a small can of olives. I also didn't really keep to the measurements on those ingredients, I went by eye.  I also tried a Chipotle Taco mix when I made this another time.  Definitely recommended if you want to spice the dip up a bit.  If not, keep to the regular taco mix.  I have also learned to strain out the tomatoes after chopping them.  Otherwise the top of the dip gets really watery.  I also recommend using vegetarian refried beans if you need a vegetarian recipe. 


The Verdict:
So over all, this was very quick and easy to make, and it got multiple rave reviews. We couldn't stop eating it! There are some left overs and I will be picking at them throughout the week I'm sure. If you need a quick and easy idea for a party, this one is definitely a great one. I'm glad I finally had a chance to try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment